ARU rated Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework
We’re proud to have received a Gold award for the quality of our education in a UK-wide review of university teaching standards.
Why we're rated Gold
Our course content and delivery is rated as outstanding with the review citing ‘innovative and highly effective course design and content that inspires students to actively engage and commit to their learning’.
We’re also rated outstanding in the areas of:
- student engagement in learning
- learning environment and academic support
- learning resources
- student engagement in improvement
- approaches to supporting student success
- intended educational gains
- approaches to supporting educational gains.
What is the Teaching Excellence Framework?
The Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) is a national scheme run by the Office for Students that focuses on the areas students care most about: teaching, learning, and achieving positive outcomes from their studies.
It has three outcomes: Bronze, Silver and Gold.
Our students develop practical, relevant skills and experience on courses that are designed with input from employers.
Outstanding course content and delivery
Our students are at the heart of ARU. They’re full of talent and promise, and we provide them with the tools they need to realise their potential.
ARU’s ‘Course content and delivery’ is rated outstanding, with our Teaching Excellence Framework report citing ‘innovative and highly effective course design and content that inspires students to actively engage and commit to their learning’.
Some of the features of our courses include:
- unique Sustainable Career Development (SCD) modules that bring students from different courses together to explore ways to respond to complex social challenges. The modules are aligned to the UN Sustainable Development Goals and help our students develop important transferable skills that are valued by employers
- authentic assessment, where students work alongside industry professionals on real business challenges, giving insight into students chosen industry
- working with regional employers to design and continually refresh our courses
- engagement with students through initiatives such as our Education Matters forum, which results in continuous improvement to their experience and outcomes
- ‘learning resources’ that were rated outstanding.
Supporting Students' Success
Our students have access to a wide range of services and academic support, tailored to their needs.
A Supportive Learning Environment
We’ve been rated outstanding for our ‘Approaches to supporting student success’, with students having access to a wide range of services and support tailored to their needs.
ARU Students’ Union is also a key part of our students’ experience. It’s dedicated to making sure students’ voices are heard and that they get the most out of their studies – while forging friendships and enjoying university life.
We work closely with the SU to create a learning community that encourages student engagement and, ultimately, success.
Our student services include:
- our Employability Strategy, which helps students to build the skills and abilities that employers value in graduates. It encompasses careers advice and preparation, work experience and placements, and an innovative curriculum designed to prepare students for the world of work
- a fully integrated approach to supporting students’ mental health
- the Peer Mentors scheme, where new undergraduate students are paired with a Buddy to help them settle into university life
- Embedded Study Skills modules within all courses which supports all aspects of academic learning
- the Career Zone, a dedicated online service which supports our graduates throughout their study and careers.
Tailored Teaching and Assessment
We’re incredibly proud of our teaching and professional services staff, and the support they offer to our students.
Outstanding Academic Support
When looking at our course content and delivery, the Office for Students noted:
- evidence of our excellence in tailoring teaching, assessment and feedback to our courses and students, including students from underrepresented groups
- the high levels of Advance HE accreditation for teaching staff at ARU. In 2017-2018 the percentage of ourteaching staff who were recognised by the HEA was over 78%, against a sector average of 42%.
We’re proud of all our staff, and the difference they’re making to students’ lives. By working alongside students and ARU’s partner organisations, we’re transforming lives and driving positive change.
Awards and Recognition